Monday 7 May 2012

My No Fuss Pea & Ham Soup

This is my all time favourite soup.

I always asked my Nan to make this soup for me whenever we visited,
regardless of the season! 


I believe I have captured my childhood in this no fuss recipe.

My Mum, shares my love of this classic soup,
and she thinks this version is so tasty!

Above all, this is a great satisfying meal for lunch or dinner,
and so easy to freeze in single portions!

INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)

500g Green Split Peas
1 Tbsp Oil
2 Carrots, peeled, grated
2 Sticks Celery, trimmed, finely chopped
1 Onion, finely chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
700g Ham Hock (approx) 
2L (8 cups) Cold Water or Vegetable Stock (half/half works well too)
2 Bay Leaves 
4 Thyme Sprigs, leaves removed from sprigs
Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper

To Serve: (Optional)
Dollop of Greek Style Yoghurt
Crusty Bread Rolls
Thinly Sliced Shallots
1 Tsp Mint, coarsely chopped


METHOD

Rinse split peas under cold running water until water runs clear. Drain.

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves and thyme leaves. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onion softens.

Add split peas, ham hock and water or stock.

Bring to the boil over high heat.

Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 2 1/2 hours or until ham hocks are tender and the meat is falling away from the bones. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. (Add extra stock or water if you feel necessary)

Remove bay leaves.

Remove ham hock from pan. Remove the meat from bones. Coarsely chop meat and set aside.

Place one-third of the pea mixture in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.

Return to pan with ham. Repeat with remaining pea mixture, until all is processed.

Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir over medium to high heat for 5 minutes or until hot.

Ladle soup into individual bowls and serve immediately with optional extras and crusty bread rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment